There's been a lot of talk about turning various bits of functionality like
GMP, MPFR, FFTW and such into packages that simply happen to be pre-loaded
by default, making it easy to get a much more spare basic Julia version.
This will definitely happen over the summer. Note that OpenBLAS is
BSD-license, so using MKL is not necessary for non-GPL Julia.