Because I was a (tiny) bit unsatisfied with the Polynomial package,
I wrote my own polynomial functions, like

  - polyval() to be applied to vectors as well as polynomial types
  - roots() that uses the Matlab order in constructing the companion
      matrix and finding all roots
  - horner() that utilizes the Horner scheme to compute the value
      and the derivative of the polynomial at the same time
      (useful for a specialized version of Newton's algorithm)
  - a deflated Horner function to return p(x) = (x - x0)*q(x) when
      x is a root of polynomial p
  - polyfit() for fitting polynomials to data, etc.

I think a polyfit() function should in any case be a part of a polynomial
package. (Is such a function contained in any other package?)

Besides that an implementation of the Muller algorithm for computing zeros
of
polynomials might be helpful. Or the calculation of the number of real roots
of a polynomial in an interval (Descartes' and Sturm's rules). There is
more
interesting numerical stuff that could be part of such a polynomial package.