Hi Simon,

it is a great idea to ask for community feedback on what people want from
3D graphics.

Here are some ideas from me:
- In general I think it is really useful to have interactive graphics. But
for publications there will a need to export the data to an image. This
could be done by rendering into an offscreen buffer and mapping this into a
cairo surface which will give us various export formats for free.

- Visualization of 3D data (i.e. an Array{Real,3})
  a) Show 3 orthogonal slices, whereas the slice position should be
configurable
  b) Volume rendering using the raytracing method.
  c) as b) but with a clip plane that can be use to scroll through the
volume.

- For the visualization of real data one needs to convert the data to ARGB.
This is something a shader is perfectly suited for. The user will want to
chose different colormaps (like gray, spring, ...) and the window width and
window level for mapping from real to colored data. The data itself can be
uploaded to the graphics card using PBOs.

Cheers,

Tobias