random, possibly clueless thoughts as i look at this:

yes, transform rules by type would be nice!  not sure what that means about
having to generate a module within a macro, though (for namespacing).

do you parse strings or streams?  (or both?)  i know nothing about julia
streams, yet, but i imagine streams would make it easier to abstract away
nasty book-keeping for error reporting (line number etc).

do you have any support for error handling?

why aren't any of your type contents typed?  can julia infer that from
use?  if not, it will have a big impact on speed and memory use, i would
guess.  even better if they can be immutable.

thanks,
andrew