It's a little late now, but I have updated Lint.jl to warn on extending a
deprecated function. It parses the deprecated.jl and keeps a list. If a new
function definition "matches" the signature of a deprecated function, it'd
give a lint error. The definition of a "match" is more relaxed than the
typical invariant style w.r.t. ADT such as Array{ Real, 1} so it should
catch reasonably specialized forms of a function.

Hopefully it'd be more useful the next time we have API migration.