I know the standard recommendation of K&R for people who want to learn C.
But what would people's recommendations be to learn *just enough* C to be
comfortable using C libraries from within Julia? For example, the manual
states:

"The code to be called must be available as a shared library. Most C and
Fortran libraries ship compiled as shared libraries already... "

Having done almost nothing in C, this statement doesn't help me a whole
lot, since I don't know what a shared library is. For instance, I've come
across a few .h files as open-source projects, but I think the above
statement is referring to .so files?

So any recommendations how can I get enough knowledge about C to use ccall
if I desire, without taking a ton of time away from Julia? I also know
Python and R as a frame of reference.