On Friday, August 15, 2014 10:15:55 AM UTC-7, Randy Zwitch wrote:

> I know the standard recommendation of K&R for people who want to learn C.
> But what would people's recommendations be to learn *just enough* C to be
> comfortable using C libraries from within Julia?

The problem with K&R isn't that it teaches you too much C. It's like 80
pages long, and you can read it [1] in like 2 afternoons [2]. The problem
is that it's too old, and doesn't teach you enough about the modern C
ecosystem. I kind of like Learn C The Hard Way [3], but it's not a quick
read at all.

[1] N.B. not absorb it...
[2] Okay, so I just fact checked this claim on Amazon, and the current
edition is 274 pages long. But most of that must be reference or something.
I swear the narrative part of the version I read was as tiny as Strunk and
White.
[3] http://c.learncodethehardway.org/book/