Feel free to write one! Unlike Matlab, you don't have to descend into C to
provide basic functionality; a pair of loops will often suffice. I suspect this
may be the main reason there isn't a cell2mat in base, it's usually easy
enough (and often clearer, with fewer trips needed to read documentation) to
do what you want directly.

However, cell2mat does keep coming up. By all means, take a stab at the
general problem, and then post as a package or submit to base and see if folks
are interested. (I'd start with the standalone option, though.)

--Tim