Yes, C code transliterated into Julia typically run within 2x of the
original. There are some of corner cases though, where Julia has safer
semantics that slow down execution. Julia checks that when you access a
legal part of an array when you index it. The @inbounds macro can give you
the segfaults and speed associated with C.

Another common problem is that the C program use a different library, so we
get comparisons between the libraries, not the languages.

Julia is currently not very smart about memory management, but if you
manage to write the performance critical parts of your code allocation
free, that does not tax your execution time much.

Matlab is a old language where lots of smart people have spent much time on
recognizing problem patterns and doing lots of tricks under the hood so
that it appears to run fast. Writing fast Matlab is about knowing these
patterns that get recognized and exploit them. When matlab recognizes your
problem, and swaps in a hand tuned implementation, it is hard to compete.