> But you initialized it in both cases.

Yes.

> Is there a compiler optimization going on here that combines the zeros()
and fill()?

No.

But there is a kernel optimization going on that complicates this
measurement. Approximately, the memory requested by `malloc` (& friends) is
not actually allocated until you try to read or write to it. So there are
in fact 3 effects here (roughly speaking, they are malloc, A[1:4096:end],
and fill()), where that second operation is unavoidable, and orders of
magnitude slower than the other two. You measured the speed of 1 vs. 1+2+3.
Whereas I measured the speed of 1+2+3 vs 1+2+3+3.