> I can only speak for NamedArrays.  On the one hand the deployment of BLAS
> should be transparant and the use of NamedArray vs Array not lead to much
> degradation in performance.  E.g., "a * b" with `a` and `b` a NamedArray,
> effectively calls "a.array * b.array" which Base implements with
> BLAS.gemm().  There is just a little overhead of filling in sensible names
> in the result---so if you have small matrices in an inner loop, you're
> going to get hurt.
>
> On the other hand, I am not sure how much of the Julia BLAS cleverness is
> retained in NamedArrays---but the intention of the package is that it is
> completely transparent, and if you notice bad performance for a particular
> situation then you should file an issue (or make a PR:-).  Individual
> element indexing of a NamedArray with integers is just a little bit slower
> than that of an Array.  Indexing by name is quite a bit slower---you may
> try a different Associative than the standard Dict.
>
> Incidentally, I've been toying with the idea of NamedArrays `*` check on
> consistency of index and dimension names, but my guess is that people would
> find such a thing annoying.
>
> ArrayViews are currently not aware of NameArrays.  I believe the views are
> going to be part ov julia-0.4, so then it would be a task for NamedArray to
> implement views of NamedArrays I gather.
>
> Cheers,
>
> ---david

Hi,

Thanks for the explanation. Suppose I have a named array X with 3 columns
"x1", "x2" and "x3" and I do prod(X, 2). Will the resulting array (a single
columns in this case) have a sensible name like "x1x2x3" ? Or more
generally, how are these new names generated and for which operations ?

Thanks,
Jan