On Wednesday, December 17, 2014 6:47:03 AM UTC-5, Michael Hatherly wrote:

> Do you need one file per docstring, or can you pack the docs for many
> functions in one file?
>
> One file per docstring currently. My thinking was that docstrings that are
> short enough to warrant packing
> several into a single file are probably short enough that they could go
> directly into the source code. Also,
> how would different “subdocstrings” be associated with different methods?
> Syntax such as:
>
> @doc meta(file = "docs.md#foobar") ->
> foobar(x) = x
>
> with a corresponding # foobar in docs.md to link the two together might
> work.

Perhaps the convention could be: each foo.jl source file may have a
corresponding foo.md file (alongside it, in the source directory), and each
thing documented with @doc may have its own H1 in the .md file.

This way, rather than having to explicitly/verbosely say `@doc meta(file =
"foo.md#foobar" -> foobar(x) = x` (that is, come up with id's and add them
explicitly to the .md file), the tools would know right where to look for
external docstrings.

-- John