Compatibility is tough and we've really just barely started to deal with
it, but I think so far it's going pretty well. Multiple dispatch is
uncannily good at deprecating things, and having a dynamic language with
nice metaprogramming makes it possible to do clever things like Compat.jl,
which makes it much easier to the language. Changes will slow down once we
hit 1.0, but they shouldn't stop. If we can make transitions between major
versions relatively painless, then we'll be able to continue to innovate
without getting stuck between versions the way Perl and Python have (for
quite opposite reasons). The Ruby transition from 1.8 to 2.0 is a good
model – they broke some things, but not so much that the language became
unfamiliar, and the pain of switching was more than fairly compensated for
by better performance and features that make the language more pleasant to
use. People should be excited about upgrading, not dread it.