Le mercredi 17 décembre 2014 à 10:43 -0800, Douglas Bates a écrit :
> On Tuesday, December 16, 2014 5:50:12 PM UTC-6, ivo welch wrote:
>

>         my note was partly a joke, partly a warning.  the R community
>         started out very nice, too.  many still are.  but some of the
>         tone has shifted towards the obnoxious.
>

> I''m glad to hear you say that.  I was wondering whether your comment
> was serious or not.
>
>          the weirdest part is that there are some people who  seem to
>         enjoy *really* helping users, all the while being somewhat
>         insulting.  it is my (incomplete) understanding that internal
>         strife in the core development team has become negative, too.
>          it will be up to the julia core team to set the community
>         standard and watch themselves and the community to keep it
>         alive.
>

> I am quite optimistic that the Julia community will not evolve the way
> that R did.  Two reasons for this are:
>

> 1. Stefan, Jeff and Viral are surprisingly well adjusted for such
> technically accomplished people.  :-)
>

> 2. I really do think that github and the other tools used for
> developing Julia encourage "social coding".  I believe that over 300
> people have contributed to github.com/JuliaLang/julia in the few years
> that the project has been on github.  That is incredible.
Indeed, apart from the harsh tone on the R mailing lists (I couldn't
have described it better than Ivo did), the factor that I think drives
developers away from R is the idea that "it's documented, so it's not a
bug and doesn't need to change". For some time you try to contribute
improvements to the project, but at some point you get tired of trying
to convince core developers just to be able to help somewhere. Result:
SVN tells me about 30 people have committed to the R code base in all
those years -- 10 times less than Julia, and 100 times less than the
number of R packages...

Indeed one of the greatest achievements of Julia so far is social, in
part thanks to git and Github, but mostly (I suspect) thanks to the
spirit of the core team. I see no reason why it would change.

Regards