I have always regarded the version tagging system as an indicator of
package "ready-state", and not only as "progress since the package was
concieved/first released". For example, I've registered the
Interpolations.jl package in Metadata, but I haven't tagged a version, so
if I do Pkg.status() it shows as version `0.0.0-` - to me, that works as an
indicator that this package isn't as ready as a package with a version of,
say, 1.2.5, or even 0.3.1.

It would probably be quite simple to add a filtering feature for package
versions on pkg.julialang.org - nothing too specific, of course, but one
could for example choose to include all packages, just packages with a
tagged version, or even just packages version 1.0 or later. That would be a
simple answer to most of the questions you raise, albeit maybe not as
specific as you might want. However, it would have the benefit of curating
itself.

// T