On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 6:04 PM, John Myles White
<johnmyleswh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It would be really easy to run a GitHub page that is literally a list of
> URL’s for unofficial packages and which receives edits via GitHub pull
> requests.

That was the goal behind transferring it out of my local wiki to a
github repo. Currently I list any new julia package I come across,
irrespective of it being on METADATA, not having tests, not listing
all the features and functions of a particular package. I am also not
strict about it working as advertised by the package author which may
go against any standard you are trying to ensure.

Also, it would be useful if the REPL[0] gave me that information when
I grep for certain keywords, say within the package or even from the
package description like PyPI. The idea being, have a list of packages
that told the user what lib was already implemented. ATM, one has to
look-up the official package list but for those packages that are not
on METADATA it gets harder to know what the package does when there is
no description or tests or deps/REQUIRE page - I read the code and
speculate what the package does then try to sub-categorize and label
as much as possible, which is a sub-optimal way to do things.

[0]
https://github.com/svaksha/Julia.jl/commit/65fa8fc34ffdafe6fe38c4db18b7156e03b89c88#commitcomment-6578504

hth, SVAKSHA ॥  http://about.me/svaksha