My rule of thumb is that if I need to worry about the IEEE rounding mode
making a difference in my results, then my problem is really
ill-conditioned and rounding the least of my worries. So I usually just
ignore it.

Same applies to rounding for data displays: if I am worried about 3.5
being rounded to 3 or 4, maybe I should just display that extra
significant digit.

Best,

Tamas