On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 9:09 AM, Jason Riedy <ja...@lovesgoodfood.com>
wrote:

> The choices in 754 were made with a nearly revolting amount of
> deliberation.  Always makes me sad to see them shrugged away.

I can assure you, we have never shrugged away anything in IEEE. We've
actually asked Kahan in person and by email about a number of things. And
the fact that we've been discussing this so extensively can't really be
considered a shrug.

Round-to-even is meant to allay bias problems for the vast
> majority of programmers, like those responsible for the Vancouver
> stock exchange index in 1982.  They used truncation which, over
> time, roughly halved the index.  Rounding upward in the same
> scenario would have doubled it...

I just don't see this particular argument as very compelling – that's one
example where ties to even happens to fix a problem, accidentally as it
happens. There seem to be just as many cases where other rounding modes are
better. My main argument is two-fold: a) none of the choices of rounding
modes for ties are obviously better across the board and b) following the C
behavior seems the least surprising to the largest number of people.

But that's just my opinion. We are going with IEEE rounding as a default.
Not only are we not shrugging off IEEE rules, we're going with them.