1) workspace()
2) maybe Lint.jl could help here? Not sure (haven't used it myself yet,
although I probably should). There are various open issues about better
error messages although I don't remember one about this specifically. It
will probably be a bit more tractable as an up-for-grabs project if/when we
move to the pure-Julia parser.