Hi everyone,

Happy New Year!

I briefly introduced myself and what I'm trying to do here
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/julia-users/Forgy/julia-users/umHiBwVLQ4g/P6DoT7qGrB8J>
.

I saw that Stefan gave a nice answer to the question "Is Julia ready for
production use? <https://www.quora.com/Is-Julia-ready-for-production-use>"
over on Quora. However, being ready for production is one thing and being
ready for use in an enterprise application for large conservative financial
institutions that undergo audits by regulators, etc., might be another.

A comment in this group was made yesterday,"Julia is from and for
researchers.
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/julia-users/GyH8nhExY9I/_mLCNVFOcKMJ>" I
notice there are quite a number of researchers developing Julia, but
naturally there is a much smaller team of core developers that seem to work
very well together. If this small team disintegrated for some reason, e.g.
find jobs, etc., I'm not sure Julia would have the escape velocity to
develop into a mature enough language for the kind of applications I have
in mind.

I am bootstrapping a startup so I need to be careful how I allocate my time
and resources. I don't mind being a little cutting edge, but I would have
to consider the likelihood that Julia reaches at least a "first version"
1.0.

So can I ask for some honest advice? With the obvious caveats understood,
how far away is a "1.0"? How long can the core team continue its dedication
to the development of Julia? Will Julia remain "from and for researchers"
indefinitely? Can you envision Julia being used in large enterprise
financial applications?

Thank you for any words of wisdom.

Best regards,
Eric