On Tuesday, February 24, 2015 at 3:19:17 AM UTC+8, Samuel Colvin wrote:

> (and saying someone mildly antagonistic to kick off some debate, sorry).

Hehe. I can't resist :)

One of the nice things about Bokeh is that unlike d3, plotly or Gadfly it
> uses canvas not SVG for it's plots which makes it way faster.

I looked at the whole canvas vs SVG thing and went with d3 for my
visualizations. Depending on your application, SVG can also be fast. Here
is a nice comparison: When to Use <canvas> and when to Use SVG: The
Scenarios
<https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ie/gg193983(v=vs.85).aspx#Using_Canvas_AndOr_SVG>
.

Particularly for web-based visualizations, I really want things to come
alive, i.e. be dynamic and interactive. And as Tim was looking for, it is
very simple to have an interaction with d3 launch some Julia code
asynchronously.

PS: TIm, if you ever have some free time to play around with javascript, I
think you may like it. I come from 20+ years of Matlab with a bit of Java
thrown in here and there, but have been learning javascript since August
and love it. The old perceptions of it being slow are... well... old :)
Even the Julia benchmark shows javascript approaching Julia speeds.
Javascript is also fun because with little clue, you can hack something
together easily, but the deeper you go, the more satisfying it can be.