On Saturday, March 14, 2015 at 5:26:25 PM UTC, Erik Schnetter wrote:

> As long as linear algebra is handled by BLAS, using multi-threading in
> Julia isn't really necessary. If the matrices are large enough to warrant
> multithreading, then using a multi-threaded BLAS is usually more
> efficient...

Obviously, not everything one might need to do with a matrix is a BLAS
operation. In my line of work, the computation time split between BLAS
calls (gemm) and scalar math operations. If BLAS is nicely parallelized
across 16 CPUs, but the other operations are single-threaded, then those
scalar operations are going to become the bottleneck.