Hi,

Ángel de Vicente <angel.vicente.garr...@gmail.com> writes:
> Now I have two more questions, to see if I can get better performance:
>

> 1) I'm just running the Julia distribuation that came with my Ubuntu
> distro. I don't know how this was compiled. Is there a way to see
> which optimization level and which compiler options were used when
> compiling Julia? Would I be able to get better performance out of
> Julia if I do my own compilation from source? (either using a high
> optimization flag or perhaps even using another compiler (I have
> access to the Intel compilers suite here).

regarding this, I downloaded Julia source and I compiled it with the
default makefiles (gfortran and optimization -O3 as far as I can see),
and there was no important time difference.

I tried to compile with Intel compilers by creating the Make.user file
with the following content

,----
| USEICC=1
| USEIFC=1
| USE_INTEL_LIBM=1
`----

but it failed, with the following error:

,----
| Making all in src
| /usr/include/c++/4.8/string(38): catastrophic error: cannot open source
| file "bits/c++config.h"
|   #include <bits/c++config.h>
|                              ^
|
| compilation aborted for patchelf.cc (code 4)
`----

Any hints on getting it compiled with the Intel compilers?

> 2) Is it possible to give optimization flags somehow to the JIT
> compiler? In this case I know that the main_loop function is crucial,
> and it is going to be executed hundreds/thousands of times, so I
> wouldn't mind spending more time the first time it is compiled if it
> can be optimized as much as possible.

I looked around the Julia documentation, but saw nothing, so perhaps
this is not possible at all?

Thanks,
--
Ángel de Vicente