I implemented an program in Fortran and Julia for time comparison when
learning the language.
This was very helpful to find problems in how I was learning julia.  Maybe
I did not read carefully enough,
but I would compile the fortran with the intel compilers (not MKL) instead
of gcc as another means for
comparing speed. The intel compilers tend to make faster executables.