From: julia-users@googlegroups.com [mailto:julia-users@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of Simon Byrne
Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 3:55 AM
To: julia-users@googlegroups.com
Subject: [julia-users] Access Windows registry from Julia?

The Windows registry useful to determine installation paths of other software
and whatnot. I've hacked together some code using the REG QUERY command:

https://github.com/JuliaStats/RCall.jl/blob/e4ba35cf45ca2eb041f660642449b8259c2f30e3/deps/build.jl#L13

but it is somewhat complicated (and potentially unreliable) to parse.

Has anyone had any luck using the C interface? It looks a little complicated,
so if anyone has any examples, I would be grateful. I guess ideally we would
want to wrap the C interface into package, similar to _winreg in Python:

https://docs.python.org/2/library/_winreg.html

Perhaps we need an "up for grabs packages" list?

P.S. On that note, perhaps we should put the Julia installation path in the
registry, for other software that might need to find it: both R and Python do
it.