To answer my own question, I think Rust might be it (for manual memory
management/"secure"):

http://blog.rust-lang.org/2015/04/03/Rust-1.0-beta.html
"The final Rust 1.0 release is scheduled for May 15th" - today.

There probably will not be any official "complementary language". I'm aware
of PyCall and:

Stefan Karpinski - Julia + Python = ♥
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsjANO10KgM

[I can assume Python would be very close to "official", for
library/"battery included"-reasons, for the short (or long) term, but not
for any inherent advantage as a (core) language.]

http://quant-econ.net/python_or_julia.html

[I haven't finished Karpinski's video..], he talks about pure (Haskell) vs.
unpure. I do not think he talks about GC vs. manual memory management. For
a short list of languages, does Rust (or C/C++) need to be on it? Or nim:

http://nim-lang.org/
"Pointers to garbage collected memory are distinguished from pointers to
manually managed memory."

I'm skeptical that most people actually need a language with manual memory
management (Strostrup isn't..). I think C (and maybe C++?) should be left
out in favour of Rust as it is safer.

Other dimensions:

Do you need pure? Then Haskell? Erlang? (is it in some ways better than
Julia for concurrency?)

Autoparallel:
Chapel (do we need it? Going with autoparallel as default seems to be a
mistake - confusing for users?) Does Chapel or X10 or other PGAS model
language have a change of beating Julia or getting more popular?

Logical:
Prolog? Datalog? Minikaren? Most promising logical?

Any other?

Z, VHDL etc. ..

--
Palli.