Sorry for the delay, I was finishing up my slides for JuliaCon, which
incidentally address this exact topic. You can find the slides here:
https://github.com/jminardi/jminardi.github.io/blob/master/files/JuliaCon-2015.pdf
and
I believe the video should be posted soon.

I was using ZMQ to communicate with a long running process. In Julia there
was a simple loop that just listened for instructions coming in over a ZMQ
socket.

--
Jack Minardi
jack.minardi.org