On Wednesday, July 29, 2015 at 11:33:07 AM UTC-4, Steven G. Johnson wrote:

> On Wednesday, July 29, 2015 at 11:23:34 AM UTC-4, Scott Jones wrote:
>>
>> For me, the nice thing (if I understand this correctly) is that UNUMs let
>> me know that there *was* roundoff error, whereas with currently IEEE binary
>> *and* decimal standards, you have no way of telling.
>>

> IEEE floating-point has the inexact exception flag to signal that a
> roundoff error occurred.  The unum proposal would store an inexact bit in
> each number, and I'm skeptical that this adds much value.  (In practice,
> almost all nontrivial computations with a fixed precision will incur a
> rounding error, and if one output is inexact usually all of them are.)

Right, if you *do* set the exception flag, but I don't think I've ever seen
anybody run with that flag set.

About the nontrivial computation part, I think that really depends on your
use cases.
A large part of the calculations done in Caché were exact (think of simple
stuff like adding up a bunch of numbers).
(I know this, since I wrote the math package myself, and did a lot of
testing to see just what sorts of operations were being done [so I could
optimize the more frequent ones more],
and to make sure I did handle the rounding correctly).