On Thursday, 30 July 2015 00:00:56 UTC+3, Steven G. Johnson wrote:

> Job, I'm basing my judgement on the presentation.

Ah ok, I was wondering I feel like those presentations give a general
impression, but don't really explain the details enough. And like I said,
your critique overlaps with Gustafson's own critique of traditional
interval arithmetic, so I wasn't sure if you meant that you don't buy his
suggested alternative ubox method after reading the book, or indicated
scepticism based on earlier experience, but without full knowledge of what
his suggested alternative is.

To be clear, it wasn't a "you should read the book" putdown - I hate
comments like that, they destroy every meaningful discussion.

The more I think about it, the more I think the ubit is actually the big
breakthrough. As a thought experiment, let's ignore the whole
flexible-bitsize bit and just take an existing float, but replace the last
bit of the fraction with a ubit. What happens?

Well.. we give up one bit of *precision* in the fraction, but *our set of
representations is still the same size*. We still have the same number of
floats as before! It's just that half of them is now exact (with one bit
less precision), and the other half represents open intervals between these
exact numbers. Which lets you represent the entire real number line
accurately (but with limited precision, unless they happen to be equal to
an exact float).

Compare that to traditional floating point numbers, which are all exact,
but unless your calculation is exactly that floating point representation
(which is very rare) guaranteed to be off.

Think about it this way: regular floats represent a finite subset of
rational numbers. More bits increase that finite subset. But add a ubit,
and you got the entire real number line. With limited precision, and using
the same finite number of representations as a float that has the same
number of bits, but still.

I'd like to hear some feedback on the example I used earlier from people
more versed in this topic than me:

 ubound arithmetic tells you that 1 / (0, 1] = [1, inf), and that [1, inf)
> / inf = 0

Thanks to the ubit, the arithmetic is as simple as "divide by both
endpoints to get the new interval endpoints".  It's so simple that I have a
hard time believing this was not possible with interval arithmetic before,
and again I don't know that much about the topic.

So is it really true, like Gustafson claims, that interval arithmetic so
far always used *closed* intervals that accepted *rounded* answers? Because
if that is true, and even is that is the only thing unums solve... well
then I'm sold :P