Jason,
If the software or circuitry is IEEE 758-2008 compliant, all those quiet
NaNs are usable.  Most vendors select one or two of them (for quiet 64bit
nans, usually 0x7ff8000000000000 and/or 0xfff8000000000000) and do
everything NaN related with, say, those two.  I hope vendors are not saying
they have a Standards complying product when that is untrue.
About compliance and NaNs, my impression is "you don`t have to use them,
but they are expected to be present."
They may play by different rules.

Stuart,
The horse and arriage similie for a quiet nan makes sense to me.
 Travelling in unfamiliar places, occasionally noticing something of
interest .. or getting a reminder .. and gathering some small, revealing
information to place it in the carriage knowing that and it will arrive
with me when the horse returns home.  As I read it (his paper, not my
redaction), William Kahan expressed an abiding regard for the efficacy and
utillity of quiet NaNs as a numerical software engineers' participatory
tool.  That's what prompted me to to write the module.

Thank you both for the thoughts.