There are ways it could be more fulfilling.  With (-)(QNaN1, QNaN2) and with
(/), Julia appears to propogate the one on the left, QNaN1.  The situation
with (+) an (*) is more opaque and I'll assume that  has to do with Julia's
deep preservation of commutivity.  As I understand it, the intent is to
pick up useful, localized situational reporting (e.g. the intensity of
activity over some model-trust sub-region or to obtain a more direct read
of the structural stress on the cross members of a bridge by getting
information from within bolts as the computer modelling and analysis
continues.   If it were to be done, we tell them where to start and when to
stay. When they have gathered something, the move on by proaogating through the
numerical computation.The aquired payloads would serve as a sketch of
detail from the internals of computational terrain.

IEEE 754-2008 makes it clear that QNaN payload values are fare game: (is
says details of NaN propagtion may have vender differences, and) "The
following value-changing transformations, among others, preserve
the literal meaning of the source code: ..   ― Changing the payload or sign
bit of a quiet NaN."

Graspable, in my estimation, with instructable, or at least disciplined and
non-contrarian NaN propogators.