I saw a note from Tim responding to a general question about the state of
JLD.  At that time (I thought the date was recent, though I might have
misread the year)
He said everything works very well except for the 128 bit integers, which
were on hold until he could verify that the their sign bit ?something about
it? would behave properly under storing and retrieving.  After seeing that,
I did not try.  I don't have the page I saw here .. but just now looking
for that I was routed to HDF5.jl .. were they not split recently,
--- or am I ready for some coffee?