Hello,

I would like to contribute a package and get more involved. The functions
of the package are done and working locally, but surely need testing and
improvement.

I have created a package "FinOption":

*julia> **Pkg.generate("FinOption", "MIT")*

*INFO: Initializing FinOption repo: /Users/svenduve/.julia/FinOption*

*INFO: Origin: git://github.com/SvenDuve/FinOption.jl.git*

*INFO: Generating LICENSE.md*

*INFO: Generating README.md*

*INFO: Generating src/FinOption.jl*

*INFO: Generating test/runtests.jl*

*INFO: Generating .travis.yml*

*INFO: Generating .gitignore*

*INFO: Committing FinOption generated files*

the package is now in the ~/.julia folder as expected. How do folks read
and write in this folder ideally. Are you creating a symlink? Or do you
make it visible in Terminal, and integrate it in the editor of choice? In
this thread best practice
<https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=de#!searchin/julia-users/manage$20own$20packages/julia-users/ohWtNrAoG_0/2oBCeUYZ9lkJ>
 people
mention both options, I would prefer managing the code directly in the
/.julia folders, but struggle to work with the hidden folder fluently.

I followed the documentation in the julia docs on how to Pkg.generate() my
credentials are all stored in my git setup:

Svens-MacBook-Air:~ svenduve$ git config --list

filter.media.required=true

filter.media.clean=git media clean %f

filter.media.smudge=git media smudge %f

user.name=Sven Duve

user.email=svend...@gmail.com

user.mail=svend...@gmail.com

github.user=SvenDuve

filter.lfs.clean=git lfs clean %f

filter.lfs.smudge=git lfs smudge %f

filter.lfs.required=true

credential.helper=osxkeychain

core.repositoryformatversion=0

core.filemode=true

core.bare=false

core.logallrefupdates=true

core.ignorecase=true

core.precomposeunicode=true

remote.origin.url=https://github.com/SvenDuve/FinOption.git

remote.origin.fetch=+refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*

now my expectation was, that when I generate the package, the repo would
get set up at github at the same time. In the docs it says:

If you created a GitHub account and configured git to know about it,
Pkg.generate()
<http://julia.readthedocs.org/en/latest/stdlib/pkg/#Base.Pkg.generate> will
set an appropriate origin URL for you. It will also automatically generate
a .travis.yml file for using the Travis <https://travis-ci.org/> automated
testing service, and an appveyor.yml file for using AppVeyor
<http://appveyor.com/>. You will have to enable testing on the Travis and
AppVeyor websites for your package repository, but once you’ve done that,
it will already have working tests. Of course, all the default testing does
is verify that using FooBar in Julia works.

from my git config, I assumed github does "know about it" and I only need
to commit.

Svens-MacBook-Air:Documents svenduve$ git remote add origin
https://github.com/SvenDuve/FinOption.jl.git

fatal: remote origin already exists.

Svens-MacBook-Air:Documents svenduve$ git remote -v

origin https://github.com/SvenDuve/FinOption.git (fetch)

origin https://github.com/SvenDuve/FinOption.git (push)

from this I take the destination is missing, i.e. the setup on github.
Should this be done manually? or can I not push the existing local repo
into github?

I know the second half of this is more git related but perhaps you can tell
me simply how you do it, or where I am going wrong.

Sven