I agree that Atom has some speed issues. With so much buy-in though I'm
hoping that things get better on that front.

Also be careful about what packages you have installed. Atom makes
it really easy to subscribe to events on things like cursor moves,
which can slow things down a lot if packages do any heavy lifting in
those events.

I think the web tech in Atom is a net win as it makes it much easier to
get people involved building packages and gives a nice path to
customization, but I think that speed is definitely a trade-off right
now. That said I'm using Atom daily now and pretty excited about it.

-s