How much RAM is available on your system?
One of the people I'm mentoring was going to move to Atom from vim, but he
said it was way too slow, but it worked fine for the other person. Turned
out, he had 4GB RAM, she had 8GB RAM, other things roughly equal. (It was
fine for me also, with 16GB on MBP and 20GB on MP).
May just be that Atom is (currently?) a memory hog.
Sublime seemed very nice also, we had used Juno-LT as well (but since it
seems dead, and Mike Innes has moved on to Atom, that's where we've
followed).
Could a Julia IDE be done most simply be using Nuclide, from FB?
Since that's based on Atom as well, maybe Mike's work would fit in there,
and John Myles White may have something to do with Nuclide as well, another
point in it's favor.