ESS mode's integration with Julia's REPL is quite simple and can't handle
special sequences. It's a pity that `help()` function has been removed from
0.4, I didn't see it before your post.

There was a discussion regarding better REPL (network REPL?) recently, but
AFAIK nobody is working on such solution yet.