Hi Michael,

I am using Emacs+ESS for Julia. Having asked about various issues on the
ESS list I was told to wait until the ESS internals are reorganized. I
am currently collecting fixes and workarounds in

https://github.com/tpapp/ESS-julia-extensions

, feel free to contribute.

That said, I believe that the future for integrating Emacs and Julia is
more along the lines of SLIME/CIDER (Swank/nREPL). The comint-based ESS
architecture is a bit archaic and cannot utilize the full power of Julia
easily. As soon as there is work on the Julia end (which I believe can
be shared among various interfaces), I will look into the Emacs
part.

Julia+Emacs integration comes up sporadically on this mailing list. I
wonder if interested parties could merge their efforts and come up with
something. My constraint is that even though I have some Lisp
experience, I am not an Emacs hacker, just a power user, so if I try to
do it alone it may be really slow.

Best,

Tamas