I think that before any further discussion takes place of how easy or hard
implementing a high-performance printf is, anyone who'd like to comment
should spend some time perusing GNU libc's vfprintf implementation
<http://repo.or.cz/w/glibc.git/blob/ec999b8e5ede67f42759657beb8c5fef87c8cc63:/stdio-common/vfprintf.c>.
This code is neither easy nor trivial – it's batsh*t crazy. And we want to
match its performance yet be much more flexible and generic. The current
printf implementation does just that, while being somewhat less insane
GNU's printf code. If someone has bright ideas for how to *also* allow
runtime format specification without sacrificing performance or generality,
I'm all ears. I have some thoughts, but they're just that – thoughts. One
option is to change the design and avoid printf-style formatting
altogether. But then I'm sure I'll never hear the end of it with people
kvetching about how we don't have printf.