Stefan, don't beat yourself up so much :)

Sometimes the choice of fast or flexible just has to be made.  Maybe call
them @fast_printf() and printf() (after appropriate deprecation time of
course).  So long as the flexible printf is "adequate" performance (as
Rolls Royce used to say).

Then if your ideas for flexible printf work out they can improve it over
time, as convenient.

And of course other non-printf APIs can be added (but please don't
(re)invent C++ << :).

Cheers
Lex