Yes that's an important point, and one that may be Plots most important
use. For me, I want to write complex plotting/visualizations for
OnlineStats and OnlineAI, and its too restrictive to assume that a user
will have Gadfly, or Qwt, or Winston installed.  (Right now, Plots is only
dependent on Colors and Reexport... Everything else is imported dynamically
as needed... Even DataFrames)  So I either have to force huge dependecies
on them or accept that some people can't ever use my visualizations. Now
with Plots they only need any backend that supports the plot type, and the
user can choose what backend they like, so package authors may be more
inclined to expose plotting recipes for their problem domain.