Well, Julia is not directly at work here and its not really about ray
tracing ;) You need to write the shader in GLSL
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenGL_Shading_Language>, which is more
C-like.
That said, I'm pretty sure that the ray tracing examples are faster than
most of the ray tracing examples listed in the links.
It runs even on on-board GPU's in real time. The algorithms allow only for
very limited ray tracing, but work nicely on the GPU.