I understand that under normal circumstances, for least difficulties, one
wants to build dlls using the mingw-w64 gcc if one wants to use it from
Julia. This makes a dll which is not dependent on msys-2.0.dll.

My question is: should I expect to be unable to use *any* dlls built using
the MSYS2 gcc (if I also provide msys-2.0.dll obviously), even in theory?

If not, does anyone know why this is the case? depends22.exe seems to be
able to open such dlls and see the symbols therein, so it seems in all
respects to be a standard dll. What is different about it that makes it
inaccessible from native applications like Julia?

The question is relevant because of the large amount of software out there
which absolutely relies on lots of posix stuff, and can't be built with
mingw-w64. Such software needs msys-2.0.dll for the posix layer.

Basically I just built a dll with MSYS2's gcc and whilst Julia dlopen's it,
any attempt to call functions in it results in a ReadOnlyMemoryError.
Somehow I thought I actually had this working in the past, but I must have
misled myself somehow.

Any help in understanding what's going on would be greatly appreciated.

Bill.