Ok, I'm not sure what happened...I rang the Pkg.dir("IJulia", "deps",
"deps.jl") to verify that I was using the Jupyter instance on my path and
then just started a python interpreter instance to check the exact python
version I had installed.

Lo and behold, now when I run "jupyter notebook", everything works (I can
select Julia-0.4 under "New Notebook")...I have no idea why this would
change anything though....I didn't rebuild IJulia or change any
configuration I'm aware of.

Sorry to bother everyone with this...I really don't know what could have
happened. Thanks for your help anyway.