Thanks for that Simon.

I think I did see the query() function...  But it did not register until
now.

Indeed, I would prefer hierarchy in my file types... but experience tells
me that's not trivial.  Sometimes there are more than one useful
hierarchies, so building a useful one can be difficult (I gave it my best
shot for now).

The "Union" solution:
I am sort of reluctant to use unions (I don't quite find it as elegant as
the inheritance system).  Also, there is a change in Union syntax from
v0.3->v0.4.  But, since Julia's current release is finally at v0.4, I
should really migrate ASAP.

That being said, I still like your suggestion:  The good thing about your
Union solution is that it allows the *user* to select which filetypes are
grouped, and how.  I must give this serious thought.

As for the dynamic loading:  I can't really comment yet.  I will have to
get used to that system a bit more before I can have a real opinion.

Regards,
MA