I'll add my voice to say thanks as well! I made the switch from Python to
Julia for some astrophysical models in my PhD, because I suck at C and
Fortran and didn't like the messiness of dealing with something like
Cython. Julia has been great for this and has introduced me gently to the
usefulness of types and how to program for speed without throwing me in the
deep end. I look forward to the day I can introduce people to it without
having to preface the introduction with "You probably won't care about what
I'm saying until the language and packages are more stable, but..."

Scott T