> It definitely makes sense for a range.

Sorry... gotta disagree... mathematical set notation is more appropriate,
especially for scientific computing.  This is coming from a former matlab
user, btw, so it's not like I was confused by the syntax.   The "for i =
1:5" syntax is actually more reminiscent of C:  "for (int i=1; i<=5; i++)",
and I'm guessing that the syntax originated more from that rather than
scientific concepts.