On Wed, Oct 28 2015, DNF <oyv...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, October 28, 2015 at 7:56:54 AM UTC+1, Gabor wrote:
>>
>> Confusion?
>> Considering the investment into learning all the new and powerful Julia
>> language constructs,
>> I don't see why exactly this elegant duality would be a problem for anyone.
>>

> I don't think = and in represent an elegant duality. They seem a very odd
> couple to me (even though I have been using = in Matlab for 15 years.) On
> the other hand, = and ∈ do seem to offer an elegant duality, since they are
> already synonyms in other contexts. The concept of 'in' also seems more
> logical than '=', which is an assignment operator.
>
> One advantage of = over 'in' is that it sticks out more visually. That is
> solved by ∈, though.

I am probably old-fashined, but I always prefer to stick to ASCII unless
there is a compelling reason. If I want something to stick out, I can
always customize Emacs to do it.

Also, I don't think it is ideal to have two (or more) operators that are
interchangeable as far as the language is concerned, but have stylistic
differences assigned to them by convention. If that convention is
useful and justified, it should be merged into the language per se; if
not, then it just borders on confusing.

Best,

Tamas