On Thursday, October 29, 2015 at 1:24:23 PM UTC-4, Stefan Karpinski wrote:

> Yes, this is an unfortunate consequence of mathematics being column-major
> – oh how I wish it weren't so. The storage order is actually largely
> irrelevant, the whole issue stems from the fact that the element in the ith
> row and the jth column of a matrix is indexes as A[i,j]. If it were A[j,i]
> then these would agree (and many things would be simpler). I like your
> explanation of "an index closer to the expression to be evaluated runs
> faster" – that's a really good way to remember/explain it.

To help understand, is "math being column major" referring to matrix
operations in math textbooks are done by columns?  For example:

http://eli.thegreenplace.net/2015/visualizing-matrix-multiplication-as-a-linear-combination/

While the order is by convention (eg not that is has to be that way), this
is how people are taught.

Glen