As for "column-majorness" of matrix algebra, it seems to be natural (for
me) because it is common to write a vector in column form. But of course,
one could start with a row vector as the basic building block, so it looks
like a matter of convention...

The reason for this choice might ultimately be traced back to the greater
ratio of right-handed people (just my guess!).
As English is written from left to right so as to be convenient for
right-handed people with pen (again a guess!!),
old mathematician in German, France, and US (where people often write from
left to right) might have preferred to
use right eigenvectors A x = lambda x rather than left eigenvectors x A =
lambda x, in such a way that sentences begin with
capital letters (Hello rather than helloW). Also, people may prefer reading
tabular data from left to right because it is
close to reading a sentence in a book. So the true question is why there
are more right-handed people :)

And because there are countries where people write from top to bottom or
right to left, it would have been interesting
if matrix algebra originated from such countries...