I'll join in here as well. For years I've seen the mess associated with
existing languages like C, C++, and Fortran as a very substantial
impediment to students developing professional-level expertise in
scientific computation, and in fact I've shied away from trying to teach
what I know, because there's so much tedious overhead.

But all of a sudden, I have a language I feel good about teaching, which my
students like learning, and which won't limit them in the long run. As
gentle a learning curve as Matlab, as general-purpose as Python, as
powerful as Lisp, and as fast as C. And free. It's a totally winning
combination.

Since attending JuliaCon2015 this summer I have transitioned my graduate
numerical linear algebra course at U New Hampshire to Julia. I'll do
undergrad numerical methods in Julia next fall, and over the next year or
so I'll try to convince relevant departments that Julia belongs in our
freshman/sophomore level intro to engineering computing courses.

Many, many thanks to the Julia team for recognizing the need for a better
language, and then for designing and implementing it so well. I'm really
grateful.

John